Is your organization still running Windows 7 machines? We have some bad news. Windows 7 is coming to an end. Microsoft has stated the end-of-life for Windows 7 to be January 14, 2020.
According to helpnetsecurity.com, 33% of the largest enterprises are still running some Windows 7 machines. Small businesses are believed to have a higher percentage than 33% due to older software and machinery used for specific purposes.
What does end-of-life mean?
In this situation, your Windows 7 computers will no longer receive updates (including critical updates), there will be no new features released, and there will be no Tech Support provided by Microsoft. This means that your computer, though it will continue running, will be at a much higher risk for viruses, malware, and other nasties out there!
Why will the risk be higher?
Just because you can continue using a Windows 7 computer doesn’t mean that you should! It is guaranteed that hackers are fully aware of the end of support date for Windows 7 and they are 100% gearing up for this to take place they will be looking for vulnerabilities.
What can I do?
All hope is not lost! There are several options out there, and we can help you along the way.
- You can purchase new computers or laptops. This is obviously not going to work for every budget or situation, but taking into consideration the age of the machine running Windows 7 and that a new machine will be much faster and easier to use, this is the most efficient option.
- You can upgrade Windows 7 machines to Windows 10. Not all machines will be capable of running Windows 10 so hardware requirements will be a consideration.
- It is possible to purchase extended support from Microsoft but the cost is very high and most likely not a viable option for small businesses.
Where do I start?
- You can start by checking to see how many computers in your organization are still using Windows 7.
- You can then figure out of any of them can be swapped for existing computers.
- Use a consultant. If you choose to have Harbor Computer Services help you, we will be able to make sure that your files are backed up and stored securely in the cloud. We will also help you either upgrade your operating system to Windows 10 or assist you in purchasing new machines. Please feel free to call us for a quote or for a consultation in this matter.
Don’t get caught with a vulnerable machine on January 14, 2020, when you can be proactive today! Make sure all your machines are ready for Windows 7 end-of-life. If you need help making some of these decisions feel free to call us for a consultation and we’ll be happy to help you make those decisions and move forward.
About Harbor Computer Services
Harbor Computer Services is an IT firm servicing Southeastern Michigan. We work exclusively under contract with our clients to provide technology direction and either become the IT department or provide assistance to the internal IT they already have. We have won many awards for our work over the years, including the worldwide Microsoft Partner of the Year in 2010. We’re the smallest firm to have ever won this most prestigious award. Most recently we were recognized as one of the top 20 visionaries in small business IT by ChannelPro Magazine (2015). And in 2016 as the top Michigan IT firm for Manufacturing. There are a few simple things that make Harbor Computer Services the best choice for your business. •We are Professionals •We are Responsible •We are Concerned About The Success of Your Business