Moving to the cloud is a big decision for many organizations. There are a lot of considerations. We’ve had an increase in our clients moving to the cloud in recent months, mostly due to people working remotely. The cloud has many advantages over a physical server. Microsoft 365 has thrown in a lot of extras and has made the process of moving to the cloud extremely easy.
What is the cloud?
The cloud isn’t just one cloud. Think of the cloud as many clouds. Clouds of all shapes and sizes. A Cloud in this situation is actually a remote server or group of servers called a data center. These clouds talk to each other via the internet. This is why your Microsoft 365 applications are all available via a web browser.
What is OneDrive?
OneDrive is your personal cloud storage that comes with your Microsoft 365 account. You can share files or folders directly from your OneDrive, but the One Drive files are connected directly to an individual account.
Benefits of Having Documents in the Cloud
The benefits of having your documents in the cloud far outweigh having them stored physically on site. Microsoft has many added benefits that you are not going to find elsewhere, and many that are superlative to other solutions. Let’s look at some of the highlights.
- Improved security. You are no longer relying on security from your server. You have added layers of security throughout the cloud. Microsoft does a great job of securing your files, as well as the added things that Harbor Computer Services does for you. A flawlessly secure system is yet to exist, but Microsoft 365 is one of the best options out there.
- Cloud computing is usually subscription-based. You pay for each user monthly. No more need to buy expensive servers and other equipment. Most companies that move to the cloud eliminate the need for having a server at all.
- Collaboration becomes more apparent and easier. With Microsoft 365 you can have two people using the same document at once and be able to see each other’s updates in real-time!
- Your files are with you wherever you go! The flexibility of cloud computing allows you to use your documents from any location with a secure internet connection. Microsoft 365 also allows you to permanently keep a copy of files on your device’s hard drive in order to use it when working offline.
- Your files are on all of your devices. Most of us have more than one device that we use on a regular basis. Microsoft 365 allows your subscription to be extended to up to 5 devices. Meaning you can have your files on your phone, laptop, desktop, tablet, and more all accessible at the same time. This is handy when you don’t want to carry our device home with you every night. Or if you are out and about and need to look something up on your phone.
- Increased insight and analytics are more widely available. Most cloud platforms offer you an analysis of your data. How many files, who accesses files, times of day, failed logins, and more are all part of that. Being able to customize reports on how your personnel is using their data helps your business make better decisions.
- Improved efficiency means improved production. Removing clunky systems from your organization allows your workers to be able to work with fewer hassles and interruptions with IT-related things.
- Your Cloud systems are always up to date! Security updates are automatic and your workers have no choice in most of their updates. This means your security is always up to date.
- Disaster Recovery is more efficient and quicker. Microsoft keeps its own backups for disaster recovery. Harbor Computer Services goes beyond that by having our own set of backups in place for each of your employees. What happens to your data if your building burns down? Nothing. It’s still there. What happens to your data if your computer dies? Nothing. It’s still there. (Sorry, we can’t do much about the burnt building.)
Using the cloud for your everyday work has it’s many benefits as you can see. Having that extra peace of mind that your business is that much more safe and secure is only part of the added benefits with Microsoft 365.
If you are still using physical servers in your office and want to evaluate if it’s time to move to the cloud, give us a call! We will lead you through every step of the way from the initial discussion to training your employees on how to access their new systems properly.
About Harbor Computer Services
Harbor Computer Services is an IT firm servicing Southeastern Michigan. We work exclusively under contract with our clients to provide technology direction and either become the IT department or provide assistance to the internal IT they already have. We have won many awards for our work over the years, including the worldwide Microsoft Partner of the Year in 2010. Most recently we were recognized as one of the top MSP’s in the nation by ChannelFutures coming in at #40 nationwide. And in 2016 as the top Michigan IT firm for Manufacturing. There are a few simple things that make Harbor Computer Services the best choice for your business. •We are Professionals •We are Responsible •We care about your business