I keep hearing the phrase, back-to-normal, but we are humans we never go back. Business doesn’t stop; technology innovation doesn’t pause. When the shut down occurred, even though for just a few weeks, the chains holding back innovation came off and everything shifted into fast forward. Planning to go back-to-normal would put you in the past and that’s never a good place for a business to be.
Some indications of fast forward are:
- jobs that had to be done in the office, turned out could be done from home
- electric bicycles have seen 200% increase in sales
- restaurants and retail stores have found new ways to deliver their products. In some cases its providing survival but others it’s been a real boom
- people have made more use of parks and enjoyed the outdoors
- businesses that were further along in their cloud journey made the transition easier and sometimes without skipping a beat
- the collapse of the office space market. We’re having TONS of conversations about eliminating and shrinking office space with clients in all industries
- everything is finally getting cleaned. (gosh, I really hope that continues)
The important thing to remember is the work from home situation is going to change for everyone. Whether it’s full time or part time work from home, work from home is part of the fast forward. There was a slow movement in that direction anyway but now it’s fully here.
The thing with the current work from home though is that it happened without a plan and is pretty make-shift. We used what ever was available and figured any productivity was better than none. But study after study show that work from home can be more productive than work at the office. However, you need the right support, the right infrastructure, the right equipment, the right policies and procedures to support the work from home people to get the benefit of their productivity. You don’t get full productivity from people working on old slow computers, using slow internet, using a single monitor, having to remote into the office to work, sharing their computer and taking care of children. In short you need a plan for real work from home.
The problem with the current work from home situation is that it isn’t secure, isn’t fully productive and doesn’t protect your data and your business.
Here’s what we’re preparing for our clients:
- home firewall and wireless routers
- home laptop and computer suggestions including dual monitors
- VPN from untrusted networks (hotel, coffee shop, restaurant, sometimes home, client offices)
- home office acceptable standards policy
- home office support
There is an immediate pressing need though and that is the back to work office/shop requirements. MIOSHA has put out a document this week laying out a plan.
- MIOSHA: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/leo/leo_miosha_c19_workplace_guidelines_employer_690397_7.pdf
- Manufacturing: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/leo/leo_miosha_c19_workplace_guidelines_manufacturing_690395_7.pdf
- Construction: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/leo/leo_miosha_c19_workplace_guidelines_construction_690394_7.pdf
- OSHA: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3990.pdf
These are some other things you might want to consider
- upgrade to touchless time clock (call us we have some suggestions)
- bulk hand sanitizer (from your local brewery and https://thedetroitbus.com/product/bulk-hand-sanitizer-from-the-detroit-sanitizer-company/ )
- desk and surface cleaning procedures
- keyboard anti-microbial skins (makes them a lot easier to clean) https://www.staples.com/Fellowes-Anti-Static-Custom-Keyboard-Guard-Kit-99680/product_825778
- touchless thermometer https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xwithings+thermo.TRS0&_nkw=withings+thermo&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=thermo
- health check-in form https://www.harborcomputerservices.net/daily-safety-and-health-verification-form/
We’re here to help. Let’s have a conversation about what fast-forward means for your business and let’s make sure that your technology is up to the task and ready to bring your business into this future that we’re all landing in this week.
About Harbor Computer Services
Harbor Computer Services is an IT firm servicing Southeastern Michigan. We work exclusively under contract with our clients to provide technology direction and either become the IT department or provide assistance to the internal IT they already have. We have won many awards for our work over the years, including the worldwide Microsoft Partner of the Year. We’re the smallest firm to have ever won this most prestigious award. Most recently we were recognized as one of the top 20 visionaries in small business IT by ChannelPro Magazine. And as the top Michigan IT firm for Manufacturing. There are a few simple things that make Harbor Computer Services the best choice for your business. •We are Professionals •We are Responsible •We are Concerned About The Success of Your Business