Training your employees is key to an efficient workplace. Training not only improves your employee’s skills, and it also improves morale, increases a sense of job security and job satisfaction, creates consistency, addresses weaknesses, and in turn, increases productivity and quality of work! We’ve heard the question “What happens if I train my employees and they leave?” Our answer to this is “What happens if you don’t train them and they stay?”
The stay-in-place order is expected to lift soon, as of today it is due to life on June 12th. Even though many have been continuing work in some capacity remotely, and some industries are working at full capacity, it is likely that skills will need to be brushed up a bit! This might be a good time to consider have a brush-up training session with your users. Why not try to brush up on old skills, update new skills, and maybe even learn something new?
Benefits of Training
Would you rather have a workforce that is “ok” at what they do or a workforce that ROCKS!? Training is the answer. Training is not just a benefit for your employees, it is an ASSET to your company. Here are some of the specific benefits of regular training:
- Training your employees SPECIFIC to your company’s workflow and processes ensures that your employees are efficient and everyone is working consistently.
- You will see a reduction in employee turnover. Your staff will feel valued when you put an investment in them. They will likely want to reciprocate in showing that value in return.
- You will see an increase in employee satisfaction and morale! It is human nature to want to feel satisfied with a job well done. Knowing that your employer supports the work that you do is important.
- You will notice an increase in quality and performance. When workers are confident that they know the job they are doing, they are confident and will want to do a good job.
- There will most likely be an increase in innovation. When someone sees a full picture of how a job is done, and they know how to do it, they begin to think of better and smarter ways of doing that job!
- Your clients and customers will be happier! When they say efficient and knowledgeable workers, they will feel confident in your services!
Continued Training as Policy
Consider adding training to your company policy. Come up with some measurable policies for your workforce to follow. Maybe require 2 hours of training per quarter or per month. Many certifications require training logs and specific requirements. This is for good reason.
Training does not need to be expensive!
There are many resources for you to take advantage of. Here are some ideas:
- What materials do you already have on hand? Use current written procedures, maybe brushed up a bit. Everyone can use a refresher from time to time.
- Take advantage of cross-training. (i.e. Have your Accounting people train your Salespeople on their processes.) Think of the advantage of having everyone have a decent idea of what everyone else does.
- Online resources. The internet is FULL of free training resources. Search a topic and see what you can find. YouTube can be a great resource. But make sure you review materials thoroughly before releasing them to your workers, as it may not be exactly what you’re looking for.
Harbor Computer Services as a Training Source
Harbor Computer Services also offers specialized training, unique to your organization. We work with you on your current processes and cater your training around that. This training can be conducted 100% remotely and is billed at our regular rate. This is an extremely cost-effective way to get training to your users during downtime!
The training that we offer is not only specialized around your specific processes but can cover most of your applications. As you can imagine, we’ve conducted a lot of training lately on Microsoft Teams, as many users are finding it extremely effective in communicating with their users remotely! Contact your assigned Tech or call us to schedule!
Other Training Ideas and tips:
Some of these ideas may have to wait until it’s safe to interact without socially distancing.
- Encourage your employees to suggest training topics. They are the ones doing the work after all!
- Incorporate or merge your training with Team building exercises.
- Add a morale boost with training. Think of something fun to do along with your training sessions.
- Hand out some extra swag hanging out in the storage closet.
- Have company T-shirts made and encourage your staff to wear them on training days.
- Try a theme for the training day. Have users wear something like Hawaiian shirts, crazy hats, silly hair day, favorite sports teams, etc. Or try decking out the break room or conference room with a theme, try a Luau, the 80s, or sports team theme.
- Lunch and Learn; bring in pizza or subs and conduct a training session while everyone eats.
Your training doesn’t have to be elaborate or expensive. The goal is to have a workforce that is confident and efficient. Think about your group and what they might like and go with it! You might be surprised at the results!
About Harbor Computer Services
Harbor Computer Services is an IT firm servicing Southeastern Michigan. We work exclusively under contract with our clients to provide technology direction and either become the IT department or provide assistance to the internal IT they already have. We have won many awards for our work over the years, including the worldwide Microsoft Partner of the Year in 2010. We’re the smallest firm to have ever won this most prestigious award. Most recently we were recognized as one of the top 20 visionaries in small business IT by ChannelPro Magazine (2015). And in 2016 as the top Michigan IT firm for Manufacturing. There are a few simple things that make Harbor Computer Services the best choice for your business. •We are Professionals •We are Responsible •We are Concerned About The Success of Your Business